CFP | Thinking Gender 2019: Feminists Confronting the Carceral State
Thinking Gender 2019 will focus on gendered regimes of incarceration, and feminist, queer, abolitionist, and intersectional interventions.
The US justice system is a site of widespread gendered and race-based violence. The U.S. currently incarcerates nearly a third of all female prisoners in the world, and between 1977 and 2004, the number of women in U.S. prisons increased by an unprecedented 757%. As a 2015 CSW co-sponsored report revealed, women suffering from mental illness in LA County jails are routinely denied treatment, medication, and reproductive hygiene products, and are disproportionately punished with solitary confinement. LGBTQ women are also disproportionately impacted: nearly 40% of incarcerated girls identify as LGBTQ, while nearly one in six transgender Americans, and one in two black transgender people, have been to prison.
Thinking Gender 2019: Feminists Confronting the Carceral State will invite emerging graduate student scholars and activists to reckon with these issues through feminist and queer approaches to topics such as:
- State-sponsored violence
- Racialized policing and surveillance
- Specific institutional modes of power, such as prisons, jails, and detention centers
- Processes of carceral expansion
- Immigration and detention
- Cultural/media representations of incarceration
- Art and media produced by incarcerated individuals
- Historical and contemporary abolitionist, feminist, and queer anti-carceral activism/organizing
- Histories of imprisonment and carceral development
- Discourses of gender responsive punishment
- Medical/psychiatric control
- Toxicity and environmental impact
- Reproductive justice
- Criminalization of gender and sexual nonconformity
- Political economies of punishment
SAVE THE DATE!
Join us for Thinking Gender 2019: Feminists Confronting the Carceral State on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2019, at the UCLA Luskin Conference Center.
SUBMIT A PROPOSAL!
Call for Proposals: https://csw.ucla.edu/tg19-cfp
Graduate Students are eligible to submit Paper, Roundtable, and Poster proposals. Undergraduate Students are eligible to submit Poster proposals only.
Conference Schedule, and more information is forthcoming! Subscribe to the CSW email list for regular updates.