Employment | Prison Program Manager at CIW
Insight Garden Program (IGP) - Prison Program Manager Position
California Institution for Women (CIW)
Applications due Monday, July 15, 2019
About Insight Garden Program
IGP facilitates an innovative curriculum combined with vocational gardening and landscaping training so that
people in prison can reconnect to self, community, and the natural world. This “inner” and “outer” gardening
approach transforms lives, ends ongoing cycles of incarceration, and creates safer communities.
The program helps to break the cycle of incarceration though learning approaches from neuroscience both in
the classroom and in flower and vegetable gardens. Its holistic model provides: 1) an ecological and systems
view of life; 2) permaculture vegetable and flower skills and active gardening; 3) “inner gardening” behavioral
tools to build emotional intelligence; and 4) life and work skills focused on accountability, responsibility,
teamwork and leadership. For more information, see www.insightgardenprogram.org .
Through a grant secured by the Claremont College's through the Andrew Mellon Foundation, IGP is expanding to
California Institution for Women (CIW). IGP seeks a part-time Program Manager who will work directly with our
Program Director and the prison to support ongoing logistics involved with weekly in-prison programming and to
be a lead facilitator. IGP will also consider contracting with a community organization for these Program
The Program Manager will be responsible for handling class logistics in the prison, recruiting and managing
volunteers, and administering the program weekly. The PM will also organize and oversee (with volunteer help)
the planning and construction of a flower and/or vegetable garden in the prison.
The position requires a dynamic person with management experience who can navigate complex systems, has
solid facilitation, negotiation and communication skills, as well as great attention to detail. Experience working
with incarcerated women and the ability to attract and effectively utilize community support, including
volunteers, is essential.
This is a part-time independent contractor position averaging 10 hours/week with additional hours for
training and garden design & installation. This is a one year contract with possibility to renew, starting at an
hourly rate of $37.50. Tentative start date is September 1, 2019.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Community and Relationship-Building
● PM will recruit volunteers to help with weekly classes at the prison.
● PM will arrange orientation sessions for potential volunteers as needed.
● PM will work with IGP to recruit volunteers to receive the IGP facilitator training.
● With the support of IGP’s Program Manager, the PM will develop relationships with local
Prison Relationship-Building + Logistics
● Develop relationships with key prison administration and custody officials and become familiar with the
prison’s chain of command and all procedures.
● Develop close working relationship with CIW’s Community Partnership Manager to run personnel
clearances for volunteers and visitors, materials clearances for all equipment and class materials.
Course Management & Facilitation
● Attend IGP’s facilitation training, and become familiar with IGP’s program, core vision and values,
mission and flow of lesson plans.
● Demonstrate strong facilitation skills, including managing group dynamics and a deep appreciation for
diversity and cultural inclusion.
● Organize and schedule lesson plans with co-facilitator and volunteers for weekly classes.
● Lead or co-facilitate one session per week from the IGP curriculum.
● Have some content experience in any or all of the following: gardening, environmental issues, science,
food-farming-urban agriculture, etc.
● Familiarity with transformative leadership development a plus.
● Familiarity with restorative justice principles a plus.
● Timely response on emails/texts from IGP staff (within one business day).
● Use Google Drive to track all program documentation.
● Record your hours worked in QuickBooks Online. Payroll is run twice monthly.
● Submit IGP Reimbursement Requests or Purchase Orders for classroom & garden expenses.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
● Passion for IGP’s mission and vision.
● Excellent communication, relationship management and interpersonal skills.
● Experience working within corrections or with an organization working within a prison.
● Ability to coordinate complex logistics and great attention to detail.
● Respect for prison authority and ability to manage potentially challenging situations.
● Ability to brainstorm and collaborate closely with prison officials.
● Cultural competence and sensitivity to race, class and gender issues within a prison context.
● Flexibility and patience.
● Solid facilitation skills.
If you are interested in this position, please complete this form at https://forms.gle/AuDCVjVFQfFTLpxP9 and
send your resume to Amanda@insightgardenprogram.org.
Applications submitted by any other method will not be considered.