Grants | PEN/Jean Stein Grant for Literary Oral History: Call for Applications
- By cgusah
- On Wednesday, may 22, 2019
The PEN/Jean Stein Grant for Literary Oral History
Applications due Saturday, June 1, 2019
The PEN/Jean Stein Grant for Literary Oral History recognizes a literary work of nonfiction that uses oral history to illuminate an event, individual, place, or movement. The winner will receive a $10,000 grant to help maintain or complete his or her ongoing project. Oral history must be a significant component of the project. Writers must submit a work-in-progress of literary nonfiction, and projects must also be the work of a single individual, written in English. More information on eligibility and guidelines can be found here.
Deadline: Submissions will be accepted from April 1, 2019 through June 1, 2019.
Who Is Eligible:
- The submitted project must be the work of a single individual, writing in English.
- The project must be an unpublished work-in-progress.
- The project must be a work of literary nonfiction (scholarly/academic writing is not eligible).
- Oral history must be a significant component of the project and its research.
How to apply:
Please submit your application below. Please note that the application will require:
- A 1-2 page, single-spaced description of the work, its importance, and why the author chose to undertake this project.
- A 1-2 page, single-spaced statement explaining why and how oral history was used in the project. This space can additionally be used to discuss any permissions, rights, or other aspects of your project.
- A 300-500 word statement explaining how a grant would aid in the completion of the project.
- A CV for the author of the project, which should include information on any previous publications.
- An outline that includes the work completed thus far and the work remaining. The outline should include the names of all participants.
- Transcripts of the project interviews (6-10 pages).
- A writing sample from the project (20-40 pages).
If you have any further questions, please reach out to the Literary Awards Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.