Internship | Curatorial internship at the Autry Museum
Curatorial Intern Position
Autry Museum of the American West
Applications due Sunday, June 9, 2019
Click to apply (search for "Curatorial intern")
A short-term, paid internship is being offered to a candidate interested in a future career in museums or a field related to environmental studies, Western or California history and culture. A year of graduate-level coursework or equivalent experience preferred. The person in this position will assist in the development of the exhibition Investigating Griffith Park, and the internship will provide hands-on museum experience while providing support to the Curatorial Department.
POSITION SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities will be determined in coordination with Autry Curatorial and Design staff, and may potentially include the following:
- Historical and object research, including both primary and secondary research
- Evaluating and prototyping exhibition components
- Community outreach and programming
- Participation in exhibition team meetings
- Updating and maintaining exhibition documents
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by the Autry.
- One year completed coursework in a graduate program in Environmental Studies, History, Cultural Studies, Museum Studies, Anthropology, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience in community outreach or non-profit work
- Resourceful, flexible, and possess the ability to work collaboratively as an Exhibition team member
- Ability to work independently on multiple tasks while maintaining quality and meeting deadlines
STIPEND AND HOURS
The intern will be paid a stipend of $19/hour and must have the ability to work 8-10 hours per week. The internship is offered July-December 2019.
Part-time hours will be scheduled Monday-Friday between 8am-5pm. Schedule to be determined jointly by intern and Autry supervising Curator. The Intern may be asked to make reasonable schedule changes to attend occasional Exhibition team or Curatorial meetings. Work will be conducted primarily at the Autry, with research visits to local universities, museums, and other locations as needed. Work space will be provided at the Autry.